Skip to main content


Academic FAQs

What areas of engineering are offered at West Virginia University?

Visit our academics page to learn more about our departments and programs.

Which undergraduate programs are ABET accredited?

ABET accredits college and university programs in the disciplines of applied and natural science, computing, engineering and engineering technology. ABET accreditation assures students, employers and society that a program meets the quality standards that produce graduates prepared to enter the global workforce.

Learn More about our ABET accredited programs

What kinds of things do engineers work on?

Engineering is a diverse discipline offering numerous opportunities. These include:

  • artificial intelligence
  • cybersecurity
  • robotics
  • aircraft and spacecraft systems
  • pollution control
  • new materials development
  • coal and mineral mining
  • transportation systems
  • building construction
  • computer development
  • electronic systems
  • oil/gas production and transportation
  • communication and information systems
  • noise control and acoustics
  • solar energy
  • and just about anything else you can think of!

Are scholarships available?

When it comes to paying for college, there are many options available for both prospective students and those currently enrolled at the Statler College. Student aid comes in many forms including loans, grants, scholarships and work-study opportunities.

Learn More about financial aid

What if I took AP courses in high school?

WVU accepts several AP classes for college credit, as long as you make the required passing grade on the AP test. These could count as science, math or general elective courses. You will be able to schedule for the next appropriate courses when your AP credits are visible on your transcript. AP Transfer Equivalencies

Can I get employment experience while in school?

We now offer the option to participate in a Cooperative Education and Internship Program. This experience enables you to integrate your academic study on campus with practical experience in an employment setting consistent with your major field of study. Co-op students work three semesters throughout their five-year curriculum. Internships involve an academic semester or a summer term. For more information visit the Cooperative Education program web site.

How do I become prepared for an engineering degree?

Please visit the WVU catalog for Admissions Requirements

How to get software for students?

Visit the WVU Software License (SLIC) page:

Advising FAQs

I am thinking about taking classes this summer near my home, what should I do?

You will need to complete a Transient Request form.

You may not substitute credit from another institution for a course in which you received a D, F, or W at WVU. In this case, the course must be repeated at WVU.

The Statler College has guidelines for the approval of transient course work, please see the WVU Catalog for more information.

All transient course work must be approved by the Statler College Associate Dean for Academic Affairs. A completed transient form does not guarantee approval. Please see the WVU Statler College Policy on transient credit.

I failed my first exam, what should I do now?

Talk to the instructor about your standing and see them when you need help with the course material.

If you are having trouble understanding the material, you should go to the WVU Learning Center for tutoring.

Assess the possibility of failing and drop the class if necessary. This would allow you to devote more time to your remaining courses.

Consider dropping another class to devote more time to the class you are failing.

I am still unsure of what engineering discipline I want to study, what should I do?

Attend the Fundamentals of Engineering Collegiate Engagement - Department Visitations.

Email the professor in the major you are considering and schedule a time to meet with them to discuss the major in greater detail.

I think I want to change my major, what do I do?

As soon as possible, meet with your advisor to initiate the necessary paperwork needed to transfer out of your major. You will speak with your advisor about your options and then complete the paperwork.

You will need to be advised by an advisor in the new major that you have chosen, Fundamentals of Engineering advisors will not advise for other Colleges or Departments.

What is academic suspension?

Undergraduate Academic Probation and Suspension Policy

What is the University's policy on repeating a class at other colleges/universities when a student fails a course at WVU?

Academic Progress Policies

What are the requirements to maintain eligibility for the PROMISE scholarship?

Promise Scholarship Renewal Requirements

What is the maximum number of credit hours I can take each semester?

Students will normally register for 17 to 18 credit hours per semester.

A student may seek permission to enroll in more than 20 hours if they have a good GPA and can present a compelling case justifying the course overload.

Talk to your advisor and complete a Course Overload Request form.

The form will require the approval of the advisor, an Academic Standards Committee member, the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs and the Associate Provost for Academic Programs.

What are the requirements to move into a major?

During the second semester, all freshman engineering students are encouraged to choose a major.

Only those students who have an overall GPA of at least 2.25 and have successfully completed ENGR 101, ENGR 191, ENGR 102, MATH 154 or MATH 155, CHEM 115, and ENGL 101 (all with a grade earned of C- or better) will be accepted into a program.

By the end of the fourth semester, students who have not completed the requirements for admission to a major will be transferred into CLASS and will not be permitted to enroll in upper-division engineering courses until they have been accepted into a major.

I have AP, CLEP, IB, Cambridge International, and/or Military Service Credit, what do I do?

Work with your advisor to ensure these credits appear on your transcript - equivalencies can be found at the WVU Admissions website.